Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Matchpoint's Mixtape #5

After several slow weeks, Rhapsody is finally starting to add some quality material. In addition to to new releases (Built to Spill, Belle and Sebastian, Arctic Monkeys), some of my favorite labels are starting to make a showing. Hardcore powerhouse Victory Records showed up a couple of weeks ago and added some bands I haven't heard in a while (Catch-22, By the Grace of God, Earth Crisis, Dead Guy). Also, Louisville KY label, Initial Records (Jazz June, Elliott), has added several albums to the Rhapsody catalogue, although I'm still waiting for Falling Forward to make an appearance.

Anyways, here's this week's mixtape.



Mixtape



1. Can't Get You Out Of My Head [KEXP Version] [Live] [Previously Unreleased] - The Flaming Lips
The Lips somehow turn this obnoxious dance hit into something more than tolerable.

2. Crashing Waves - Karl Blau
Found this one on the Said The Gramophone mp3blog. Google it.

3. Joga - Ben Gibbard/Ben Barnett
I love anything this guy does.

4. Have You Forgotten - Red House Painters
Lead track from this amazing album.

5. Goin' Against Your Mind - Built To Spill
Built to Spill, it's good to have you back. Where have you been?

6. Circle, Square, Triangle - Test Icicles
My good friend won't stop until I say something positive about this band. It's growing on me.

7. Wait And Bleed - Slipknot
Kick out your chair and start thrashing.

8. Halfway Pretty - Elliott
Finally, some Elliott on Rhapsody. I'm petitioning them to add more.

9. 1234 1234 - Catch 22
Indie rock needs to take a cue from punk rock and encourage more sing alongs.