Thursday, February 23, 2006

Matchpoint's Mixtape #6

This week's playlist is faster and harder than usual, so beware. If you're not a fan of punk rock I implore you to still give it a spin--you might be happily surprised, especially by the lead track.

BTW, the Wedding Present is playing tomorrow night at Slim's and tickets are still available. I was fortunate to catch them last year at GAMH and they totally rocked beyond my expectations. But what amazed me was how thin the crowd was. The hall couldn't have been filled beyond half capacity. I guess that's why this time around they scaled back to the smaller Slim's, but apparently the Wedding Present doesn't have the draw to fill that venue either.

If you read into the band you'll discover they had 18 UK hits, but I bet not a single one made an impact in the US. It still amazes me that there can still be a big difference between the UK and US rock charts. I know I'm talking about a period 10-15 years ago, but stuff like this still happens today. Sometimes there's just a latency between markets (see Arctic Monkeys). And you can make the argument, which I won't challenge, that bands from both countries have fans on the other side of the pond (see Arctic Monkeys). But in an age where access to music and music criticism is unrestricted and without borders, the US and UK markets will become more homogeneous. Now, whether that's a good or a bad thing I can't tell.

But I digress...how about some music?



Mixtape






1. The Watermark High - Elliott
I can still remember listening in awe the first time I spun this 7". Still one of my favorite songs.

2. Character - Falling Forward
Ask and you shall receive. Falling Forward (pre-Elliott) make their way onto Rhapsody.

3. I'm The One - Descendents
One of the best "2nd wave" Descendents songs.

4. Two II - Weston
I almost forgot about this album, but was happily surprised when it showed up on the recently added list.

5. Corona - Minutemen
Some say that Double Nickels on the Dime is one of the greatest albums every made. Can't say I agree, but this track rocks.

6. The Road To Hell - Ink & Dagger
Deceased front man Sean McCabe was flipping crazy, which made for an incredible live show.

7. Venus (Live in San Francisco 1978 / bonus track) - Television
What ever happened to these guys?

8. Ariel Ramirez - Richard Buckner
Ok, so I stole this one from a VW commercial, but seriously, VW has great tastes in music.

9. Mannish Boy - Muddy Waters
Curve ball of the week. A co-worker of mine put together a blues playlist, which included this classic.