Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Matchpoint's Mixtape #3

This last week was a great week. Saw the coachella movie, which got me psyched up for this years festival (although, the line-up is a little poor this year). On Friday night I saw Don Carlos of Black Uhuru at Ashkenaz in Berkeley.

But the icing on the cake was the Lifetime reunion show Sunday night. Un-f*%king believable! I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I've been waiting for a Lifetime reunion since they broke up in '97. I was a little worried that the somewhat lame SF indie-rock scenesters were going to let me down, but those fears were allayed as soon as they busted into Daneursym. The show was nuts and it makes me regret not trying to catch hardcore shows more often.

Oh yeah, and yesterday was my birthday. And now for the mixtape...



Mixtape



1. Chanbara - At the Drive-In
ATDI prove that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, aka Mars Volta and Sparta.

2. Whirlwind - Rancid
I still remember picking up this tape (yeah, a cassette tape) at my first hardcore show.

3. It's The Sun - The Polyphonic Spree
Try to catch the Spree on Austin City Limits on PBS. This version doesn't do it justice.

4. You Can't Get Stoned Enough - Kind of Like Spitting
I have nothing clever to say about this one.

5. Willie - Cat Power
Although her new album is a little more country then I'd prefer, it's starting to grow on me.

6. Promise - Mirah
Great song from a band I’m just starting to explore.

7. The Toilet Song - The Bouncing Souls
Who's gonna throw the toilet off the roof?

8. Big Sur - The Thrills
Irish band singing about the great Pacific coast?

9. Don't Sit Next To Me Just Because I'm Asian - The Bruce Lee Band
I've been waiting so long for this track to make it to Rhapsody.